Looking to invest in a new yet affordable computerized sewing machine? Are you a beginner looking to embark on a new hobby? Buying a new sewing machine can be an exciting yet unnerving task. There are too many choices to choose from. Lets look at two beginner-friendly sewing machines by Brothers which will surely make your sewing journey easier.
Today we’ll review two of their topmost beginners choice sewing machines; Brother CS6000i vs XR9550prw. Let’s see which one is for you.
In a hurry?
Quickly go to Amazon and get the machine we recommend. Don’t worry, our recommendation is based on proper study and research…
- Our choice Silhouette Portrait 2
Quick Comparison: Brother CS6000i vs XR9550prw
Let’s just quickly compare the two before diving right into a detailed review of both.
|Brother XR9550prw||Brother CS6000i|
|165 built-in stitches to choose from, including quilting and other decorative stitches||60 built-in stitches (quilting and other decorative stitches included)|
|Comes with 8 styles of 1 step automatic buttonhole||Comes with 7 styles of 1 step automatic buttonhole|
|Contains 4 Bobbins||Contains 3 Bobbins|
|850 Stitching Speed (Stitches per min)||850 Stitching Speed (Stitches per min)|
|Contains Alphanumeric Fonts; Can do Monogramming||Does not contain Alphanumeric Font; Can not do Monogramming|
|Built-in Quilting Stitches: Yes||Built-in Quilting Stitches: Yes|
|Comes with 8 different styles of presser feet||Comes with 9 different styles of presser feet|
*Sewing Machine Plus
*Sewing Machine Plus
Based on the information on the above table alone, we know who the clear winner is. But don’t just stop right here. Read along to see both their advanced and unique features.
In-Depth Review: Brother XR9550prw Vs Brother CS6000i
Now that we have dealt with comparing their key features, let’s dive right into their detailed review and see what unique features each of them have to offer.
1) It’s extremely affordable
2) It has extensive sewing capabilities.
XR9550prw Computerized Sewing Machine is a limited edition product that can make your life easier if you are a beginner with not too much experience with sewing machines.
The design is the first thing that people see other than the specs, of course. If the design is not appealing, you probably won’t buy it, even with all the excellent features.
XR9550prw latest version has all the cool features giving it a premium look, such as a wide table and hard case, 3-Spool caps and an extra spool pin, an LCD, and much more. Its portable feature makes it easier to move from one place to another. Not bad right?
Is It Easy To Setup?
XR9550prw contains an easy to read manual, which explains how to set up the sewing machine in minutes. It’s ideal for anyone who wants to get right into sewing without wanting to assemble the parts. And due to this exact quirk, this is great for beginners. It is extremely lightweight and compact, making it easier to carry with the built-in handle and outer protective case.
Is It Easy To Use?
The Brother XR9550prw has all the directions printed on it, making it extremely easy to use. Everything itself is explained on the sewing machine. Other than that, it also has an easy-to-use manual that explains everything. Some of its easy-to-use features include,
- 8 styles of 1-step automatic buttonholes. So you just need to press a button, and viola it’s done.
- It has all the 165 built-in stitches displayed on the sewing machine, so if you need to control the thread tension according to the requirement, you can do it pretty quickly.
- You can use it for basic lettering as this model offers 55 alphanumeric stitches.
- There are also eight different styles of buttonholes, with each requiring a single step to completion.
- It comes with 8 sewing feet, making it convenient to use for different sewing needs, such as making quilts or attaching a zipper.
- Economical, easy to set up and use.
- Computerized stitch selection.
- Has an over-sized worktable.
- Contains alphanumeric fonts, multiple needle positions, and accessories such as a hard-shell cover.
- The monogramming font is pre-set, and no other fonts are available.
- Speed control is tricky.
- Can sometimes be difficult to manage the bobbin.
- The thread cutter is not very sharp.
We can safely say that this sewing machine is excellent for beginners as well as experts and can do reasonable heavy-duty work. This machine is great for people that are looking to start sewing and quilting.
If you’re a beginner, then you would need a beginner-friendly sewing machine that doesn’t have all those buttons, controls, and thread guides that would just leave you confused. And Brother CS6000i is just that. Brother CS6000i is one of the most famous and best-selling sewing machines and is considered one of the BEST of all low-cost sewing machines.
Brother CS6000i is a portable, versatile, and durable sewing machine with unique features such as an LCD and automated features such as an automatic needle threader.
Brother CS6000i is easy to the eyes, sure it does not have a premium look like Brother XR9550prw, but it comes in two colors; beige and blue, which sure isn’t found in itâ€™s other brother. It also has some amazing features and accessories. You will find an oversized table, accessory pouch, spool caps and pins, and much more.
Is It Easy To Setup?
The setup is made easy due to the advanced technology of this machine. Unpack the sewing machine, give the easy-to-setup a quick read, get to work, and start sewing yourself a cute top. Brother CS6000i has a numbered diagram on all of the appropriate threading spots allows you to thread the machine even if this is your first time sewing.
Is it easy to use?
CS6000i has an automated needle threading system making it extremely easy to use. This needle threading system allows you to press a lever on the machine’s side and Brother takes care of the rest. Threading is done automatically once the lever is pressed. So you don’t need to sit there poking your fingers or trying to get the thread in the eye of the needle for 20 minutes. Pretty neat right? Some other of its feature includes,
- It has an LCD screen through which you can easily choose among the 60 included stitches.
- It has a free arm to make cuffs, sleeves, or hems with ease.
- It has a one-step buttonhole feature through which you can successfully create buttonholes.
- Simple setup from threading to the bobbin.
- Several stitches to choose from along with length and width settings
- Can be used with or without the foot pedal.
- This sewing machine requires low maintenance. And doesn’t need to be cleaned more often.
- A big clump of bobbin thread gets pulled up and catches on the fabric.
- the LCD screen is not bright enough.
- It is not equipped with computerized embroidery or a monogramming function
This sewing machine has got a significant number of positive impressions. According to one user, this machine is great if you’re doing basic sewing and extremely easy to use. Another user claims that it’s smooth and easy to use and does not make a lot of noise.
We listed out all the key features and a detailed review, and we hope you now have a fairly good idea of which sewing machine will be the best match for your needs and budget. For us, the winner was Brother XR9550prw due to its 165 built-in stitches, and it’s ability to do basic monogramming. It even received the Women Choice Award back in 2019.
But if you are looking for a good, reliable sewing machine at a great price point and don’t mind not having the alphanumeric stitch option, then you can go with CS6000i.
Beatrix Ainsley (Bea to her friends) is an abstract artist who was heavily inspired in her twenties by the abstract expressionist movement of the 1940s. Since then Bea has acquired three degrees in Science, Education and most importantly Fine Art. Her art works showcase exploring emotion and introspection of self. To achieve this – the use of bold, sweeping, intricate layers of color, and spontaneity of form is enhanced by reflecting on decades of life experiences. Bea has amassed a vast knowledge of art in all its forms, and hopes to pass it on with her contributions here.